As we all know – the Millennial generation is an enigma to many and all the hype these days as companies try to figure out how to sell to them, build brand value, and create loyalty. We’re even working on a project right now with a client to try to figure out how to attract and retain them in the workplace. They do represent a quarter of the US population after all.
Customer experience is also, all the buzz. What do you need to know about Millennials to make sure that their journey with your product or service is a positive experience?
In a recent article published by Forbes, Micah Solomon outlines some tips to consider when designing experiences for the Millennial generation: 2016 Is The Year Of The Millennial Customer: Is Your Customer Experience Ready?
Micah has declared that because they are growing in size and influence , “It’s time to put away any residual snark and learn to understand these youthful customers if you’re going to be able to create a millennial-friendly sales, customer experience and customer service approach.”
Here are six important tips that he wants companies to consider when designing customer experience for Millennials:
- Millennials demand self-service, algorithmically, and crowd-sourced customer service options.
- Paradoxically, millennial customers also crave a true, authentic, personalized experience as customers.
- They care about your values as a company
- Millennial customers expect your company’s technology to simply work–so you’d better make sure that it does.
- Social consumption is the norm. And so is social decision-making as to whether or not to consume.
- Millennial customers want to collaborate and co-create with your brand.
Companies should take these tips into consideration and look at their customer experience through the lens of the Millennial generation. Now that I know these tips for designing a Millennial friendly customer experience, I am going to challenge myself to go find examples of companies who have incorporated these strategies. Stay tuned!